Sunday, October 02, 2005

Why subclock?

I've been meaning to set up a blog for a long time, but kept putting it off because I thought that it would be too much trouble to get started. Stephen O'Grady published an article on starting a blog in his blog and proved me wrong. I followed his instructions, which led me to blogspot.

All of the blog URLs that I wanted were taken. It turns out nearly everyone in the world decided to start a blog in 2001. They grabbed all the good blog names on blogspot, staked out their claims, posted a single article and left, never to return.

It took me half an hour to set up my blog, virtually all of which I spent searching for a free name. I finally settled on "subclock" because I have a clock from a Russian submarine mounted on my home office wall. I've used it for about ten years. It requires some discipline -- it needs winding once a week, and will drift from the true time if I don't adjust it slightly when the humidity changes.

Besides that, there's too much overclocking in the world today; it makes sense, sometimes, to slow down, take a look around, and think deliberately about the next thing to do. I don't always do that, of course, but maybe the name will remind me.

Here's to paying attention.